History

History, Pimlico

The history of Dolphin Square

The history of Dolphin Square

Prior to the late 18th century the area where Dolphin Square now stands consisted of frequently flooded meadowlands known as Tothill Fields. It was used as a common for a variety of […]

December 18, 2015 × Comments are Disabled

Belgravia, History

Belgravia (Source: The Times)

10 Things you didn't know about Belgravia

1. Belgravia takes its name from one of the Duke of Westminster’s subsidiary titles, Viscount Belgrave. Belgravia was developed in the 1820s by Richard Grosvenor the 2nd Marquis of Westminster. The village of Belgrave, Cheshire is […]

December 17, 2015 × Comments are Disabled

History, Pimlico

John Marius Wilson's description of Pimlico

John Marius Wilson's description of Pimlico

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson’s “Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales” described Pimlico like this: Pimlico, a section of St. George-Hanover Square parish, Westminster, Middlesex; extending from Buckingham-Gate to Chelsea, around a convergence […]

December 13, 2015 × Comments are Disabled

Belgravia, History, Pimlico, Victoria

Thomas Cubitt and Eccleston Square

Thomas Cubitt and Eccleston Square

Pimlico, originally known as the Neat House Gardens was famous for its wholesome produce of herbs and vegetables. By 1820 the Neat House Gardens had become urban fringe and in addition to […]

December 10, 2015 × Comments are Disabled

History, Maps, Pimlico

London Map by Greenwood - 1827

Pimlico in 1827

Maps of Pimlico – 1827 Christopher (1786-1855) and John Greenwood (fl.1821-1840) were brothers and cartographers who produced large-scale maps of England and Wales in the 1820s. Their partnership began in 1821, using […]

December 10, 2015 × Comments are Disabled

History, Pimlico

90 Claverton Street

90 Claverton Street

During WWII, in the evening of 22nd September 1940, at 11.36pm, a high explosive bomb detonated on 90 Claverton Street in Pimlico. The building, as well as adjacent 94 Grosvenor Road suffered […]

December 6, 2015 × Comments are Disabled

History, Westminster

St George's Hanover Square (dated 1787; courtesy of the British Library, London)

St George Hanover Square (1724 till 1889)

Between 1724 and 1889, Pimlico was part of what was known as ‘St George Hanover Square’, a civil parish in the centre of London. The creation of the parish was accompanied by the […]

December 6, 2015 × Comments are Disabled

History, Pimlico

Pimlico - Photographer: Mark Vuaran, Flickr

The name “Pimlico”

The neighbourhood of Pimlico embraces the whole of Belgravia, as well as extending from Buckingham Palace Road to the Thames, and stretching westward to Chelsea. This includes Grosvenor Road and the Eccleston […]

December 6, 2015 × Comments are Disabled